State by State Laws in Australia
Scarlet Alliance pay our respect to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island elders and custodians of this land, current, past and future.
To join Scarlet Alliance, download the membership form
To join the Scarlet Alliance FaceBook Group, link here.
- Australian Capital Territory - Decriminalised by the ACT Prostutition Act 1992. CURRENTLY UNDER REVIEW, NEW LAWS DUE TO HIT PARLIAMENT more...
- New South Wales - Decriminalised since 1996. LICENSING REVIEW DUE TO REPORT more...
- Northern Territory - Licensed under the Northern Territory Prostitution Regulation Act more...
- Queensland - Licensed by the Prostitution Act (Ammended 2001, 2006 & 2009) more...
- South Australia LAW REFORM BILL WILL BE BEFORE PARLIAMENT IN WEEKS - Criminalised under the Summary Offences Act 1953 and the Criminal Law Consolidation Act (1935 - 1976) more...
- Tasmania - LAWS REFORM STILL UNDERWAY Private legal, brothels ciminalised under Sex Industry Offences Act 2005 more...
- Victoria - NEW POLICE POWERS NOW IN PLACE Licensed under the Sex Work Act 1994, Sex Work Regulations 2006, Sex Work (Fees) Regulations 2004 and the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 more...
- Western Australia - LICENSING LAWS EXPECTED BEFORE PARLIAMENT IN COMING MONTHS currently sex work is not illegal in NSW, but brothel work or working in pairs is. more...
- Federal Laws - THE MOSE RECENT FEDERAL LAWS WERE PASSED IN 2012 Migration of sex workers is criminalised in the Criminal Code (Trafficking in Persons Amendment 2005 & Sexual Slavery Amendment 1999)more...
|Link to database of HIV laws across Asia. The data base is run by Asia Catalyst.|
Public Submissions written or endorsed by Scarlet Alliance
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal on Reforming Licensing in NSW: Review of licence rationale and design" December 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission on Inquiry into the Human Rights and Anti-Discrimination Bill 2012 – Exposure Draft Legislation" December 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal on Regulation Review – Local Government Compliance and Enforcement" November 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to Inquiry into Slavery, Slavery like conditions and People Trafficking" September 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission on Crimes Legislation Amendment (Slavery, Slavery-like Conditions and People Trafficking) Bill 2012" July 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to MP Steph Key on South Australian Law Reform" May 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to Consumer Affairs Victoria on Sexual Slavery Signs in Victorian Brothels" April 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission on Regulation of the Tasmanian Sex Industry" March 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission on Spent Convictions Act Review, South Autralia" Jan 2012
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to the NSW Planning Review" Nov 2011
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission on the Western Australian Prostitution Bill 2011" July 2011
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to the Standing Committee on Justice and Community Safety’s inquiry into the ACT Prostitution Act 1992" Feb 2011
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to the The Criminal Justice Response to Slavery and People Trafficking; Reparation; and Vulnerable Witness Protections" Feb 2011
- Scarlet Alliance "Submissions into forced and servile marriage in Australia" Feb 2011
- Touching Base "Submission to Marrickville Council" Feb 2011
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to Minister Christian Porter Sex Industry Law Reform Western Australia" January 2011
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to the 2011 CMC Inquiry into Sex Work in Queensland" January 2011
- Scarlet Alliance and Nothing About Us Without Us "Submission on Sex Industry Regulation in NSW" September, 2010
- Scarlet Alliance "Submission to Tasmanian Attorney General" June 2010
- Response to Victorian Recommendations on trafficking for sex work August 2009, endorsed by 18 influencial sex worker groups, researchers and supporters
- Submission to "Simpler visas; Creating a simpler framework for temporary and permanent entry to Australia" June 2010
- Submission to Stephen Howells, "Review of Employer Sanctions Legislation – Combating Illegal Work in Australia" June 2010
- Submission to the Victorian Drugs and Crime Prevention Committee Oct 2009
- SUBMISSION TO DEPARTMENT OF PLANNING AND BETTER REGULATION OFFICE NSW: PROMOTING ECONOMIC GROWTH AND COMPETITION THROUGH THE PLANNING SYSTEM June 2009
- National Human Rights Consultation Submission by VIXEN (Scarlet Alliance member) June 2009
- National Human Rights Consultation Submission by Scarlet Alliance June 2009
- NSW Planning Minister and Attorney General consider Sex Work Advertising June 2009
- Consumer Affairs Victoria Review of Sex Work Regulations June 2009
- Senate Committee on Mens Health February 2009
- Queensland Crime and Misconduct Commission Review into Police Move On Powers February 2009
- Tasmanian Sex Industry Act Review November 2008
- Review of Queensland Services and HTML version of submission, May 2008
- US State Department Trafficking In Persons Report January 2008
- The UNAIDS Programme Coordinating Board discusses approach to HIV and Sex Work June 07
- Western Australian Parliamentary Committee considers law reform October 06
- Queensland PLA Regulatory Impact Statement May 06
- Consumer Affairs Victoria releases for comment their Regulatory Impact Statement March 06
- New Zealand Parliament inquiry into street based sex work March 06
- Queensland Crime and Misconduct Commission ongoing inquiry into escort services Jan 06
- Consumer Affairs Victoria review of the Prostitution Control Regulations August 05
- Queensland Crime and Misconduct Commission inquiry into escort services April 2005
- Northern Territory Racing and Gaming inquiry into the Prostitution Regulation Act March 2005
- Federal AG consultation on the Draft Criminal Code Amendment (Trafficking In Persons) Bill Oct 2004
- Consumer Affairs Victoria review of Fees Regulations for licensed brothels June 2004
- Tasmanian Sex Industry Regulation Bill Consultation March 2004
- Parliamentary Joint Committee inquiry into Trafficking in Women & Sexual Servitude 26 Sep 2003
- Western Australia consultation on the Prostitution Control Green Bill Feb 2003
updated April 13th, 2013